Saturday, September 1, 2012

Giving Thanks (repost from Nov 23, 2011)

Two years ago I celebrated Thanksgiving with my in-laws in Corning NY. It was all I could do to drive that hour long drive over the hills to their house. Sitting on the chairs around the table, I bruised my sit-bones (yep, my ass!) because there was no muscle left from my sedated time in the coma. We were all on eggshells, not really knowing what I could handle. Afraid that I might exhaust myself just sitting up for too long.

I sat there, looking around at my family. The family that sat by my bedside... that worried every time the doctors wouldn't meet their eyes.... that banished fear with every breath they took. The family that took Aurora and I in and made us part of their family, no question.

I sat there, looking at my family and was for the most profound moment, thankful.

Each moment I have had since waking from my coma has been a gift. The most precious gift I have ever known. Time with my family. It doesn't matter whether it is an hour of quiet, ten hours of insanity, or just pushing the shopping cart through the grocery store. If I am with my family and friends, it is time well spent.

Two years ago, I woke up grateful. To be free from where I was. To be back. To see my wife's crying laughing eyes. To be loved.

Tonight, on the eve of Thankgiving, I am grateful for the time I have had lately. Time spent healing. Time learning about feelings. Time to breathe and grow. Time with the people who care about me deeply. Time spent preparing for another surgery. Time preparing for a whole new me. Time with my loving puppy.

My words fail to say what the tears in my eyes say so eloquently. I am so thankful to be here. So grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment